- Basic Surgical Training
- Higher Surgical Training
- Clinical Attachment Programme for Examination Eligible Candidate
- Subspecialty Training in General Surgery
- Research Project
- Hospital Inspection
- Simulation Training
- Proctorship Programme for Basic Laparoscopic Surgery
- Regulations and Guideline
Training Requirements for Basic Surgical Training
Declaration of Specialty Interest
Basic trainees must have at least twenty four months’ experience in a programme or posts approved by HKICBSC for Basic Surgical Training following their registration or Intern year. For trainees who are admitted from 1 July 2013 onwards, basic trainees must undergo a 2-year rotation comprising of:
1. One year of Core Training in General Surgery & Emergency Surgery
- One 6-month training in General Surgery; AND
- One 6 months emergency module, which can include:
· A&E (max 6 months) /
· ITU (i.e. Intensive Care Unit) (max 3 months) /
· Any surgical specialties with emergency calls (3 months will be counted as emergency for any 6 months training in any specialty with emergency calls, that respective 6 months training can be split into two 3 month rotations), i.e. any surgical specialties with less than 6 months training CANNOT be recognized as emergency training.
2. Basic Surgical Trainees must fulfill the requirements of one year of core training in General Surgery and Emergency Surgery as mentioned above. For the remaining one year, trainees can choose either path (2a) or path (2b):
2a) The remaining 1 year will be in TWO or THREE specialties or subspecialties, each with at least 3-month duration, where the experience gained is not included in the 12 months described above (AED or ITU should include in core-training ONLY; and thus will NOT be accepted in this 1 year of training).
2b) If a basic trainee indicates his/her interest in any specialty, the following rotation would be preferred in the remaining 1 year:
One 6-month training in surgical specialty of the intended higher training
· Orthopaedic Surgery
· Cardiothoracic Surgery
· Paediatric Surgery
· Plastic Surgery
· Vascular Surgery
One 6-month training in a related surgical subspecialty of intended higher training (This is to be determined by HKCOS, HKCORL and Specialty Boards of CSHK)
Important Notes: During the 2 years of Basic Surgical Training, trainees are required to make up at least 3 specialties to meet the rotational requirement, but not more than 1 year in any 1 specialty
** For trainees admitted on or before 30 June 2013, please contact the College Secretariat for the rotational requirements.
DECLARATION OF SPECIALTY INTEREST
For Basic Trainees who are admitted from 1 July 2010 onwards, they are advised to declare their interest in intended higher specialty training during their first year of training as early as possible, if they wish. The declaration of specialty interest is entirely on a voluntary basis. Trainees who do not declare any specialty interest will be placed in General Surgery.
Declaration of Specialty Interest will be recorded in their Registration Form on entry to Basic Surgical Training and in their Record of Curriculum before next rotation. Trainees should inform their training supervisors of their declaration of specialty interest.
Should trainees wish to change their declaration of specialty indicated earlier to HKICBSC, it is their responsibility to inform their respective supervisor & parent Department Head as well as update the Record of Curriculum, which is required to be kept in their logbook during the entire basic training.
For BST admitted between 1 July 2014 – 30 June 2016, please refer to the “New Curriculum for BST admitted between 1 July 2014 – 30 June 2016” for further details.
For BST admitted from 1 July 2016 onwards, please refer to the “New Curriculum for BST admitted from 1 July 2016 onwards” for further details.
For BST admitted from 1 January 2019 onwards, please refer to the “New Curriculum for BST admitted from 1 January 2019 onwards” for further details.